Friday, September 12, 2014

Ten Books That Have "Stuck With Me" Part Two

I'm picking up where I left off in my last post:
6. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life
(source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1999475.A_Million_Miles_in_a_Thousand_Years?ac=1)

This book changed the way I think about my life. The whole book is basically about how your life is a story. And if you don't like the story you're living, you can change it. You can live a better story. You don't have to spend a lot of money or jump off of bridges or do anything risky or dramatic to live a better story either. You can start by just paying more attention to what's around you, volunteering, finding a new hobby, etc.

7. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Namesake
(source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33917.The_Namesake?from_search=true)
This book has stuck with me as it follows the son of a immigrants from India as he becomes the first generation to be born and raised in America. I never gave much thought to cultural clashes and adjustments until I read this book and watched Gogol struggle to balance his Indian heritage with American culture.

8. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Time Traveler's Wife
(source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18619684-the-time-traveler-s-wife?from_search=true)
The love story between Clare and Henry is one of my favorite love stories of all time. The jumping back and forth in time was a little confusing at first, but added creativity and uniqueness to the story. 

9. The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Giver (The Giver #1)
(source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3636.The_Giver?from_search=true)
I still get mad every time I read the chapter about the twins. But I love this book. I love that Jonas does what's right even though it's hard. And I don't think the ending is bad-- I think it brings hope. This is probably one of my favorite young adult novels of all time. I can't believe I didn't actually sit down and read it until I became a middle school teacher. 

10. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer 
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
(source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4588.Extremely_Loud_and_Incredibly_Close)
I loved this book. It was confusing at first, but once I got into it, it didn't disappoint. Not only is it about Oskar's search for a lock in which to put the key he found in his dad's belongings, it's also about loss in general and the human desire to fill the voids caused when we experience loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment